Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

How to fix rear window actuator. i.e. Rear Window Won't Open

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 01:41 PM
e602 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to fix rear window actuator. i.e. Rear Window Won't Open

This might already be somewhere on here but I didn't see it. This is for all of you, like me, that had the rear window stop opening on your Blazer. You press the button to open the rear window and you hear the actuator, but nothing happens. It's a very easy process to fix yourself. It'll take you $13 in parts (that includes shipping) and about an hour of your time. If you call the dealer, they will charge you about $450 to replace the actuator. If you can hear the actuator working, then you can fix it for the $13. If you don't hear a sound, buy the Actuator and you can still get to it using the steps below. There are two brass screws that hold the actuator to the panel.

A philips head screw driver and a 9/32 socket screwdriver are the only tools you need to replace the retainer.

This is how to replace it on a 1996 Blazer 4dr.

First, go buy the part you need at Rockauto. The link is for a 1996, but make sure you order it for your vehicle. Just do a search for a Window Actuator Rod Retainer. Rock Auto requires you order a pair of these, so make sure you order two. Each one has two of them in there so you will have 3 extras.
Window Actuator Rod Retainers - RockAuto.com

To open the window in the mean time while you are waiting for the part, do the following.
1. Remove the two screws on the door handle so you can pull back the door panel.
2. Pull back panel on top in the middle where it rises.
3. Reach in with a screw driver or your fingers to push down the lever. It's a metal piece on the left side against the wall to the inside of the truck.
SEE FIRST AND SECOND PICTURES

4. Open window and tailgate and remove screws on the sides of the tailgate. There is one on each side. Make sure it is the one fartest out and on the plastic panel.
5. Once the screws are removed, pull up on half the panel that is farthest out from the truck. Slide out away from the truck. The panel should come off with a little effort. Do not pull up on the panel closest to the truck, you will break the hooks that hold it in. I broke two on mine. The panel will slide away from the truck pretty easily.
6. Remove the screws holding the middle metal panel down. There are about 12 screws. They are the 9/32 socket screws.
SEE THIRD PICTURE

7. Pull the metal panel up, first dislodge the metal poles connected to the two white clips on each side in the center of the panel.
8. You will now see your actuator with the broken blue clip.
SEE FOURTH PICTURE

9. Pop off the blue retainer from the actuator. This will take some effort but it will pop off. (here's where you can replace the actuator if it's not making a sound)
10. Place one end of the retainer into the loose metal piece that rotates (left arrow in third picture) and then pop the other end back on to the actuator.
11. Replace the metal panel and clip the poles back into the white clips.
12. Make sure your door handle rod is clipped into the lock before you close the tailgate. If not, you have to work at opening it again by sliding you arm down between the plastic panel and it's not easy.
SEE FIFTH PICTURE

13. Replace everything. Before you close the door, make sure the door handle works and make sure the actuator is connected.
14. You should now be able to use your tailgate window again!

[IMG]local://upfiles/3523/925731507FA844599E59850F86B746FD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3523/F77B603F8A144E9984BA81E14DF69231.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3523/36C7B1D85DDC46E68EB2F170E7AB695C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfile

Old 08-16-2007, 07:30 PM
blazin true is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: How to fix rear window actuator. i.e. Rear Window Won't Open

hey hows it going well im kinda having a simaler prob but mine just opens when ever it wants to it will still open but not always when u try to it will just do it on its own or when i put it in neut or drive so i just take the fuse out and when i need to get back there i put it back in and the window pops open i have a 1996 4dr lt 4wd u have any ideas on this ? could my actuator just be startin to go ?

Old 08-17-2007, 04:14 PM
MEMEBROWNSUGAR is an unknown quantity at this point

did any one find the part number for the rear hatch 2002 chevy blazer.

Meme

Old 09-27-2007, 06:33 PM
ram1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would like to thank you for thisposting. I found it very helpful and made the repair process easier for me.
Thank you for taking the time to be so helpful.
Respectfully,
Lloyd

Old 10-27-2007, 08:41 AM
triprider747 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much for the posting.Made it really easy to fix rear window.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:42 PM
geo791 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much for sharing this information. The detail pictures were very helpful too. I was trying to figure out how to get the tailgate to open when I found your post. With your instructions I went out and had the glass open in five minutes. You are dead accurate in all your directions. I thought maybe I could get this actuator retainer from the dealer...NOT. Only way to get it is to buy the whole actuator with the reatainer attached ($83). So I went to rockauto.com and ordered the part for about $13 with S&H. Got the part in three days. Took me about an hour total to do the repair and that included lubricating the latches and such. You saved me a lot of money and time.
Thank you very much.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:36 AM
Buffalo Brian is an unknown quantity at this point

Cant say how much this post helped me. Like the article said the dealership tries to sell you the whole actuator. I got to say they pissed me off how can they charge so much for a fifteen minute job. I found RockAuto.com great and ended up replacing the rear windshield wiper motor too since it was acting up also.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:42 AM
green95blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

I also managed this fix inexpensively after wasting time consulting the official shop manuals and pulling back the carpet to uselessly try the factory access hole. I also considered the advice in forum link https://blazerforum.com/fb.asp?m=22710to drill a hole in the plastic panel, but didn't want to go that direction. I found I could not make the wire tool method advised in forum link https://blazerforum.com/fb.asp?m=39183work for me, but that was a great idea. Finally I did just pull firmly but carefully on the top center of the trim panel as advised, cracking off just the tip of the single screw tab under the screw that is nicely pictured in member swartlkk's third photo in forum link https://blazerforum.com/fb.asp?m=21724. Perfect. Then I could actually open the latch with my fingers. I was actually able to resecure the center top of the trim panel with the original screw and metal clip, due to having pulled as little as necessary. Only about half the tab broke off. The only sign I messed with the panel is that I was unable to get that carpet piece to glue back down without wrinkles, because I stretched it following the shop manual recommended procedure. Don't even waste your time with that like I did.
Once I got inside the door, I found that if I had chosen to replace my entire 15139675 actuator, I would have had to drill out two 1/4" pop rivets holding it in place, andfasten the new onewith bolts and nuts. I was extremely pleased to have found the post above showing the link for the Dorman 42426 part; no one at the dealer or any of my FLAPS (friendly local auto parts stores) had heard of or could find stock of such item. This part was quite easy to replace without having to remove the actuator from the interior door panel.

[IMG]local://upfiles/11686/05C0A8DCAC7A470482D1C7D10FBCB539.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/11686/D5B48DB5A11A447AA77D197A782FD9CC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-04-2009, 07:51 PM
forumpro420 is on a distinguished road

is there anyway u can send me those pis on this if not thats fine i will figure it out but if so that would be very much mahlos ..........(thanks)

Old 04-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Try looking at any of the other threads I linked to in my reply to your thread on this subject or run a search...

Quick Reply: How to fix rear window actuator. i.e. Rear Window Won't Open