2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

98 power seat problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 12:33 PM
dgreichu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 98 power seat problem

Ok - driver seat full power with lumbar support. Everything works on the seat EXCEPT forward/reverse or front to back. Just purchased car and wife got in at the power seat will not get her closer to the steering wheel. When I look under the seat, the rail closest to the door has a motor toward the fron, and the other side does not. When I engage the forward reverse the side closest to the console really doesnt move, the side closest to the door does move BUT it only moves 1/2" max then it is cockeyed and stops. Is there a way to remove the metal "thing" in the track to allow the seat to move freely???

Old 03-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 98 power seat problem

There should be a drive cable running from side to side to keep both rails in sync for the forward & back movement. Sounds like the drive cable is missing...

In the picture below, the lateral motor is what controls front to back movement. It is located on the right side of the picture with the drive cable extending towards the left rail.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:01 AM
Starting Member
Smoked is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same issue... must check this out when i get home...(can't view pics at work )

Old 05-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Starting Member

Hey Kyle.
I've confirmed in my case it is indeed that drive cable that's missing. Do you know if it's anything special? I mean that in the sense that it's a unique part that perhaps carries current or something? Should I be able to get it from the dealer? Or...even better if i went to a wreckers would it be easily removable without breaking?

thanks

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

There should be a drive cable running from side to side to keep both rails in sync for the forward & back movement. Sounds like the drive cable is missing...

In the picture below, the lateral motor is what controls front to back movement. It is located on the right side of the picture with the drive cable extending towards the left rail.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:19 AM
Starting Member

Okay...just called the dealer and they only sell the whole power assembly for all 6 ways of movement and it's about 1500$!!!!! Sooooo, i'm going to call around some wreckers.

I would like to know if i can get the drive cable separately still or if i need the whole assembly?

Old 05-12-2008, 07:39 AM
Starting Member

Anyone know about this part? What if I fab up something that has a wire attached at each end and runs the length of it? Is it just passing electrical current from the motor to the piece on the inner track or is there a resistor along there too?

Old 05-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Starting Member

Anyone know how the drive cable works?

Old 05-22-2008, 09:50 PM
Scooterewski is an unknown quantity at this point

....let me look around for ya
Ok...What I am coming up with is that the drive cables connect the motor to the gearnuts which turn jack screws and adjusters on each side of the seat...there should be no power in them as the power is only needed to turn the motor. so pretty much the drive cables are moved by the motor

Old 05-23-2008, 11:19 PM
Starting Member

Thanks

Re: the edit..i didnt' think that would bring the post back to the top sorry again.

Re: the drivecable..thanks! so it's not an electrical part, it's a mechanical part, and it's probably easier for me to find one at a wreckers than to make one..especially since i'm no dr frankenstein. I'll start looking.

ORIGINAL: Scooterewski

Click the edit button when consecutivley posting to add on to your message if another member has yet to respond....let me look around for ya
Ok...What I am coming up with is that the drive cables connect the motor to the gearnuts which turn jack screws and adjusters on each side of the seat...there should be no power in them as the power is only needed to turn the motor. so pretty much the drive cables are moved by the motor

Old 06-18-2008, 08:22 PM
Starting Member

UPDATE: I fixed it!!

Today i had a brainstorm... i got out my screwdrivers and tried all the robertson bits until i found the right side, turned the inside track 'receiver' by hand and voila it moved!

So off to home depot i went... after wandering through the entire store i found some plastic tubing that looked about right to 'receive' a drill bit with a robbie end and got some threaded rod to strength the tubing.

About 1/2 hour, my manditory cut on the hand(index finger this time) and some cursing and duct taping later... voila...a drive cable!

http://www.kwfbody.com/images/18-06-08_2059.jpg

I tried with a hose clamp first(pictured) but it wasnt' wide enough...as i had to make my pipe in two pieces to get it in both ends. Duct tape did the trick as it usually does. Now my power seat moves forwards and backwards as GM intended

The final modification i'll likely make is to paint it black to hide it better...but i'm going to use it a bit and see how the duct tape holds first.

Anyways... that was pretty satisfying considering the dealership only sells the whole 6 way motor assembly, and oh, it's 1500$ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Getting the parts from dealer: $1500
Getting parts for my solution at Home Depot: $8.00
My girlfriend able to split driving on the 4500km trip out east in 2 weeks: Priceless