Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Purge solenoid problems???? I think?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 01:08 PM
jezzika39 is on a distinguished road
Default Purge solenoid problems???? I think?

Im new to this site so here goes i have been successfully self-diagnosing my recent car problems thanks to this site. i would have never known where to begin to look for problems if it hadn't been for some of your more knowledgeable members. WE i recently replaced both shifting solenoid in my 2000 chevy s10 blazer after they had been out for some time ( about a year to be exact) then my light came back on and the diagnosis was a leak in the evap system i replaced the gas gap and the vent solenoid still had a whining noise when it warms up which i assumed to be the next step the purge solenoid under the hood so i ordered the part from rockauto and now i cannot for the life of me find out where it goes i have looked all over the engine but there is nothing resembling my part that i can find. Now it seems that the whiningg has subsided wouldnt ya know but im having it retested this afternoon so in the event that i neeed to replace this part can anyone give me a detailed description of exactly where it is located thanks for your time and your help.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Check out this schematic, item (4):

The Purge solenoid is located between the ICM (ignition control module) and the distributor on the plastic upper intake plenum.

But rather than just throw parts at an issue, why not have it properly diagnosed. What is the specific code that you are getting? Have you had a smoke test ran to see if there are any leaks in the system?

Old 01-05-2010, 05:20 AM
jaybird33081 is on a distinguished road

hey swart, how much to shops usually charge to do one of them smoke test?

Old 01-05-2010, 08:46 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have never had to have a shop do this for me so I wouldn't know. You are probably looking at around 1-2 hours to do it properly at whatever the shops going rate is. Around me, the small shops are around $65 per hour and the larger ones are $75-$85 per hour.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:14 PM
jaybird33081 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I have never had to have a shop do this for me so I wouldn't know. You are probably looking at around 1-2 hours to do it properly at whatever the shops going rate is. Around me, the small shops are around $65 per hour and the larger ones are $75-$85 per hour.
thanks again swart, the more i read on this forum the more i realize i am a **** lol figured my truck is a 97 and i havent been good at keeping it up to speed, so i figured its time i start fixing things and keeping track since i gonna have to keep her running for years to come lol lol